Saturday, July 23, 2005

Tell Me Why

I was just wondering...why is it that only depression, suffering and the likes, that are so promoted and appreciated by people.

Agreed, everybody says, be happy, smile etc etc...but when it comes to awards...book awards, film awards, awards for art...even fancy dress awards, are all given to not the best portrayal of happiness or joy but to that of pain and suffering....why so?

The most melancholy, depressing book will be declared the 'Book of the Year'...books with a sad tone to them are all the best sellers. "It has real emotion in it, man"....

Why do we associate realism to sorrow...all depressing movies are labeled 'realistic'...does that mean nobody real ever laughs or is happy?

Even when it comes to fancy dress competitions, down to the very basic school level, it is always the most piteous looking costume that wins first place.Rarely ever does the clown get to walk away with the prize.

Funny movies are all simply 'mindless' comedy, eh? Well, mindless or not...comedy is what I love and always will!

I was just wondering about this...have been wondering for a while, infact....if I'm wrong about anything, do let me know..I've always thought nobody likes to be sad...then why promote it in such a huge way?

12 comments:

-Poison- said...

sorrow seems more serious i guess...

Anonymous said...

I am just not sure...

Chinmay 'भारद्वाज' said...

I think Sorrow brings out real person. Plus, sorrow helps us to enjoy the happy moments.
And, the reality is there is more sorrow in this world than happiness.
About your blog: Its deep and intense. If you get a chance put a counter on your blog. www.statcounter.com

C
www.evolvedmonkey.blogspot.com

One in the crowd said...

Absolutely...showing poverty, helplessness, depression...they r a sure fire way of winning awards...dunno whats with this syndrome? But i was the one who clapped the loudest when the National Awards gave the best actor award to Saif Ali Khan...way to go...

Nivedita said...

@blah_blah_blogger: yeah, it was a pleasant suprise to know that Saif got the national award..I think he deserved it too.

@chinmay rahalkar: I don't agree that there is more sorrow in this world...there isn't more of anything. Its equal and complementary, I feel...guess, if there is happiness there is sorrow..one simply can't exist without the other...
I could be wrong, but thats how I feel..we simply need to glorify the positive side of life a bit more.

crossblade said...

I love the way you write...

Prakash Gopan V said...

Saif did great work for Parineeta. (Vidya Balan is beyond comparison.)

Chinmay 'भारद्वाज' said...

Somehow I still believe that there is more sorrow in life than happiness. I am not sure if because of that we enjoy good times but I think that is the reason why we tend to correlate ourselves with sorrow more easily than 'bright' side.

anways....this is an unending discussion and it is too subjective for one side to win the debate.

Thanks for your compliment. I tried to keep my blog informative. My intentions are to provoke people to think.

One in the crowd said...

chalo...now when is the next post appearing? and hey, drop in to my blog some time...

kickassso said...

I believe thatthe matrix holds the answer to that..:P somehow humans are more prone to accept suffering and not to accept joy . If someone says tht we won a lottery, we prolly wont believ him. but if he/she says tht someone died , we in all probablity would believe him. or maybe it is us mallu's who have the problem...where else would you see so mayn weepy soaps

Anonymous said...

girl this was the worst peice of small town trash ever ........even worse than the hilton sisters of course u would not know wat i mean unless the words sambar and iddly were in the sentence.....reading this made nme feel like removingmy appendix with a spoon

Anonymous said...

Buddha said life is full of dhukka