Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I've been around the world..

Yeah, I've been around the world.

Started life in Bombay (Mumbai), then in Dubai and then landed in Trivandrum.
Was in Bombay till the age of six, then was one year in Dubai. Used to keep going to Dubai for my summer holidays though, because my dad was still there.

In the past 19 years I have visited so many foreign countries...from the US to Amsterdam to Singapore....

I haven't visited too many places in India though....I am really looking forward to an All India Tour someday...I hope to see the Taj Mahal while its still there. I mean, I've got one of the seven wonders of the world right under my nose and I haven't seen it....ofcourse my whole family has seen it, they did before I was born that is. Guess, the all India trip was completed before I was born...I've seen the pictures...sigh

I have stayed in the luxury of seven star hotels to places where there is no fan even, during our many travelling expeditions....I have enjoyed every experience equally.

One thing that these foreign trips have taught me is that there is nothing more there than what we already have here. I mean, when I see people dreaming of settling down abroad...I think, why? Why must you want to leave all that you have, to go live among strangers...now, even if you become a millionare there it still is not your home.

One common trait in most of these foreign countries is their sense of national pride...I mean, they are proud to say that they are Malaysians or whatever...they wouldn't spit or litter the roads, cuz they are bothered about their country's image and international appearance.

I mean if we must ape the west after all....then whay not copy some of the good things too. So readily have we accepted their culture, dress code, language and all....why not learn from them and keep our country clean (!!) for starters.

We litter and spit on the roads and then say that India is a dirty place..! hah...its a ridiculous!

Be local and think global.

All these experiences have made me...taught me, to see the beauty in the simple things of life. We are too busy to notice small things...because small things aren't going to help us get anywhere, eh?

Anyway, for those dreaming of going abroad...you must. I still remember the excitement I felt the first time I ever went to an airport or boarded a plane.....I wish that awsome experience for everybody.
You must go if it is what you want most.....It is easy for me to say all this after having seen it all (almost!) But I feel...all I am saying is that.. go...go you must, but don't forget to come back someday....please don't get lost....do be back....

4 comments:

Sujith said...

nice one! bt its a common thing. things which are seen every day will be valued the least.
*
muttathe mullakku manamilla!
akkarappacha!
*

Nivedita said...

I have been around so much that I think I've become more practical...I can't let myself be carried away by the lights and excitement of 'foreign'.
Actually, these trips have made me realize that 'muttathe mullakyanu mannam!'

The want to make my country superb like the ones I have visited...

I just wish more people would feel the same.

One in the crowd said...

Be local and think global...wow...that's the highlight of the piece...I entirely agree with u on this...

Anonymous said...

Nice